HOPE's Gifted and Talented Program
At HOPE Community Academy, we believe every child deserves the opportunity to soar to new heights academically and personally. Our Gifted and Talented Program is designed to nurture the unique talents and abilities of gifted learners, offering specialized instruction, tailored support, and a community that celebrates their brilliance.
Unlock your child's brilliance! Contact Us to learn more.
Our Gifted and Talented Program is a dynamic and inclusive initiative to nurture and celebrate the unique abilities of our students who excel in various domains. Rooted in our commitment to embracing Hmong, Karan and American values, this program seeks to provide an enriching educational experience that goes beyond traditional classroom settings.
Grades K-2 students receive Talent Development learning opportunities led by the Gifted and Talented specialist in their classrooms quarterly. Grades 3-5 learners are grouped with other advanced students and benefit from specialized Math and/or Reading instruction by the specialist. Throughout elementary school, all students receive differentiated instruction tailored to challenge and nurture their individual strengths.
- All second grade students will be formally screened for Gifted and Talented placement at the end of 2nd grade using the CogAT 7 (Cognitive Abilities Test)
- Students in grades 3-5 will be screened for placement if they are new to HOPE, or with parent/teacher recommendations.
- Students will be identified using local percentile rankings on ability tests (CogAT 7), achievement tests (FAST aReading and aMath), and using teacher or parent surveys as needed.
- Families of students that are formally identified will be notified by mail.
- Reading-Identified students in grades 3-5 will meet with the Gifted and Talented specialist for 30 minutes daily to participate in cross-curricular reading and writing units.
- Math– Identified students in grades 4 and 5 will receive core instruction from the Gifted and Talented specialist for 30-45 minutes daily. Content will be accelerated, covering a year and a half of material during the academic year, with the goal of students being ready to enter seventh grade level Math upon beginning Middle School.
Gifted and talented students have unique social-emotional needs. To target social-emotional needs, gifted and talented students will have the opportunity to attend a once-weekly lunch with their peers to work on building healthy and supportive friendships.
Family Support & Involvement
- Families will be invited to attend Family Nights to learn more about what it means to be gifted and how to best support our gifted youngsters at home. Dates to be determined.
- Families will be invited to attend celebrations of learning periodically throughout the year to share in the learning of their children. Dates and times to be determined.
Sign up now for more information!
Whether your child is in grades K-5, we invite you to discover how our program can unlock their true potential. Complete the form below to learn more about our Gifted and Talented Program.
Resources for Families:
Check out the links below for more information about what it means to be gifted, and how to support gifted children at home.